Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stanback May Miss Opener, Leaves Door Open For Others

by Ryan Bush
It's more bad news for Dallas Cowboys receiver Isaiah Stanback. Not only will he eventually need surgery after dislocating his shoulder in Friday's game against Houston, but his rehabbing may not do an ounce of good. He may need surgery now.

"You know me," Stanback said. "I'm trying my best to prevent that. "Everybody on this team plays with pain," he said. "If that's what it's got to come down to in order for me to help this team, then that's what it's got to come down to."

Stanback suffered a similar injury last season in a game against Philadelphia but put off surgery until the off-season by wearing a protective harness. "Same thing I had last year," Stanback said of his injury. "Rehab it first, see if it responds and depending on how that goes, if it's well enough to get on the field, obviously I'll get back on the field. If it's not, I get it taken care of."

So far the shoulder is showing signs of progress but Phillips said he doesn't expect Stanback to be available for the season opener against the Browns.

But Stanback's bad news is somebody else's good news.

With both Stanback and Miles Austin inactive for the first game, Phillips will be looking to either Mike Jefferson or Danny Amendola to dress as the fourth receiver. Both have stretched away from the rest of the wide receiver competion vying for the 6th and final spot on the roster.
Both are totally different, with Jefferson being more of a possession receiver, while Amendola is the speedy type.
Nevertheless, they are confident that they can step up to the plate if called on. "I'm confident that I could come in and contribute, but there's still a long way to go to get out there for the season," said Jefferson after Friday's game. "I've got to get myself in a little bit better shape. I was a little tired out there."

Though both continue to improve, you have to like Amendola's chances to win the job due to the fact that he can be a contributor on special teams, something Phillips has made clear that you had probably better do if you're on the roster bubble.

If Amendola were to play in the season opener, he would be the second man, along with rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick, to return kickoffs.

And if Adam Jones should go down with an injury or fail to get fully reinstated, Amendola could fill in as a punt returner as well.

The coaches love to use the former Texas Tech wideout in the slot where they can utilize his quickness and speed. In fact, Amendola caught the longest pass of the game (35 yards) against the Texans from the slot position. But he's not getting ahead of himself, realizing that there's still a lot to be done before the final cut.

"I'm still in a situation to try to make the squad," Amendola said. "I'm just trying to find a role for myself on this team, whether it be the fourth receiver, the fifth - it doesn't matter to me. I'm just trying to make a role for myself."

Rather than finding a role, Stanback's injury may have forced a role on him.

No comments: